Monday, April 4, 2011

Margot and Zara Writing Jan-March 11


Margot’s Writing (Jan-March 2011)

5 Jan 2011 Plaits

Last Monday Siphesihle (my Zulu friend) asked if I wanted my hair plaited the Zulu way. I said “off course,I would love to”. So the next day, Spee (her nickname) brought her auntie’s friend from Mozambique who was staying with her and is a hairdresser to do my hair. She started with the hair behind my ear. At first, it really hurt but afterwards I got used to it. She took at least two hours to finish but it looked so beautiful though because it was zig-zagy at the top. It looked a little bit different to Spee’s because my scull is white and my hair is brown. I will probably take them out in two weeks or so. Now everyone thinks I am so beautiful.

13th Jan 2011 Waterfall

Last weekend our family went to Border Cave next to Ingwavuna. At first it looked like there was going to be a humongous thunderstorm because the sky was very black. When we arrived we could see the dumps of rain pouring down over Swaziland like a patchwork quilt. But we didn’t get rained on one drip in the night. The next morning, the sun was up so we went to find the waterfall that our friends were raving about. It took us a lot of explanation to get there but in the end we arrived. We had a wonderful time swimming under it and jumping into the nice cool pool. The others got cold very fast so we had to leave. I would really like to go back to that awesome waterfall.

18th Jan 2011 Kids Club

Last weekend my family and I went to Sodwana Bay because Enzemvelo KZN Wildlife Kids Club invited me and Zara. We went specially to see the turtles. There were lots of other nice children there and we soon made good friends. In the evening, we pilled into an army truck and set off down the beach. We drove for ages but we didn’t see any turtles. The next morning we woke-up very early to go snorkeling. There were lots of nice colourful fishes. We had a lovely day playing in the waves. That evening, we went on another drive but this time we went all the way to Mabibi and on the way back we saw two turtles on the beach. I really love Kids Club.

4th Feb 2011 The eye

Yesterday, we went to the Waterfront in Cape Town. We spent most of the afternoon in the aquarium. We saw lots of different fish. There were sharks and lots of other different animals. My favourite was the penguins feeking. Later, Granny arrived so we went on the Eye. Ot was really big. It went round four times. It was a little bit scary at the top because the wind was really strong and the cable car rocked from side to side. We had a really nice time.

12th Feb 2011 Elephants

Last weekend Mum, Dad, Zara and I went on a kids weekend. We did lots of fun kids stuff. The first night we stayed at Nibela Lake Lodge. Then on Saturday, we went to Endoneni to see the cheetahs and the next day, we went to bayete Zulu to see elephants. It was a very nice day and I think it was the best thing we did on the whole weekend. We were sitting in the boma sort of place and the elephants came right up to the fence and we hugged them and fed them. There was a big dad elephant called Rumbo, a mum elephant called Rachel and a small baby called Jabulani. Rumbo was the friendliest and so I fed him lots. We fed them horse pellets. When I looked at Rumbo, I could see he had really rough skin. I think elephants are so intelligent.

15th Feb 2011 Elephants 2

Elephants are the most intelligent animals I have ever met. When we went for an elephant interaction at Bayete Zulu, we were in the middle of nowhere with a two feet electric fence separating us from the elephants. We also had a very nice guide called Francois. He taught us lots of things about elephants. Now, I know that elephants walk on their tiptoes, that they have Jacobson’s glands just under their trunk that are really cool because it is like the elephant’s computer (eg an elephant was trying to push this tree down and she is in oestrus and she is gone in the direction of South). Isn’t that amazing! We learnt lots of other things too like that they have 100,000 muscles in their trunk. After his long speech, the tree elephants came to have some food. Their were a little family with a dad called Rambow, a mum called Rachel and the baby called Jabulani. Rambow was really relaxed so we could touch him lots. When we gave him the horse pellets, he would feel how much there were and if there weren’t enough, he would come and plead for more. When I stood between Rambow’s tusks and looked up into his eyes, he curled his trunk around me and I have never felt happier in my life. I would really love to have a pet elephant but Dad says an elephant is too big!

16th Feb 2011 Archeology

Last weekend Zara and I made an archeology site in our garden. We know how to make them as we have been to Border Cave and that is where they found the oldest baby bones in SA. I think our archeology site is really cool because first we dug square holes and found lots of small bits and pieces that we pretented were bits of human bones. Then, we put all those bits and pieces in a box and got some rubbish bags, filled them with sand and sat them on the edge of the holes. Then, so that the sides didn’t fall in, we put wet sand on them. Our archeology is the best one I have ever seen.

22nd Feb 2011 A Year at Mseleni

We have spent one year at Mseleni. Before I was in a rush to get home but now I could stay forever. We have made Mseleni our home but now we have to move on. I have to find someone to look after my cat Shaka. The house is nearly empty. I do want to leave because we are going to have a great time travelling in Southern Africa. But I also don’t want to go because we have to take the most disgusting malaria tablets so we don’t’ get malaria and I promise you, they are disgusting as we had a test try two weeks ago but we only have to take them once a week. I am really going to miss that little Shaka because I found him when he was a tiny kitten. I am also going to miss waking up in the morning grabbing a granadilla or a mano. And the thing I will miss the most is going to Wentzel’s house to watch a movie or jump on the trampoline. I think they will be really sad too. On Friday evening we will camp at the lake and have a braii. So, goodbye everyone at Mseleni.

8 March 2011 Beading

Last weekend Zara and I went to Haggis, my Dad’s friend’s house. We went there because Mum and Dad were maintain biking with Haggis’ partner. While they were gone, Zara, Haggis and I went to “Bead and Beyond”, a really cool bead shop with about every beads you can imagine. Haggis bought us trillions of beads. We also chose some beads to make mum and dad a necklace. We nearly spent the whole day beading. Then, when we had finished our necklaces for mum and dad, Haggis said that we could make lots of necklaces and bracelets and sell them to the locals on the way so we could get some pocket money. My favourite bracelet that I have done is a bracelet with big blue beads with smaller green beads and tiny red ones in between. Most of the bracelets we made are African themed. I think we are going to be rich!

14 March 2011 Golden Gate (Drakensberg)

On Friday last week, we stayed at Sani Pass top (2865m). To get there, there was a really steep mountain that was a zigzag gravel road (lucky we didn’t have the trailer!). Sani Pass is in Lesotho (a very poor country in the middle of SA). The next day, we drove through Lesotho to Golden Gate back in South Africa, It was really sunny when we arrived so we decided to set up camp. That evening, there was so much rain that Mum had to dig a trench around the tents. The next morning, we woke up and it was sunny again. Zara and I spent most of the morning making things out of clay that we found next to the river. Soon after, we went on a nice walk in the mountains. Dad read one of the brochure that we found at reception to us about the history of Golden Gate. He said that Golden Gate was named after the two huge cliffs on either side of the road and in the evening, the light shines on the cliffs and it makes them golden. Today we might go horse riding in Lesotho. I am mad about horses so I think it is going to be so fun!

17 March 2011 Horse Treck

On Monday we left Golden Gate to come to Malealea Lodge in Lesotho. It was a really long drive because we had to drive half way around Lesotho. We didn’t drive through Lesotho because people said the road was really rough. As soon as we got to Malealea, Zara and I wanted to explore everything but it was nearly dark so we went to listen to the Malealea Band playing instead. Later that evening Mum made us a nice lumpy warm butternut soup. The next morning, we woke up bright and early because Dad said we would go horse riding for two days. I was so excited because horses are my favourite animals. We had a quick breakfast and then sprinted at full speed up to the stables. They saddled the horses for us and as quick as a flash the horses were ready to ride. Michel and Chere were our guides and Michel put me on a small grey thin horse called Topy. At first, I didn’t think she was pretty but now I know she is the best horse in the whole world. Zara’s horse Supertex was the prettiest as she had a half moon on her forehead and she was a light brown creamy colour. Mum’s horse Bofo was a chestnut colour and she hated Dad’s horse Boulette. Boulette was a dark brown horse and he was a classic dominant male and every time Mum tried to overtake him, he would either kick of bite. The start of the ride was pretty easy because it was on the road but as soon as we got to the cliffs above the river, it got hard. We had to go down the cliffs on horse back, cross the river and walk up the other side! My Topy did all this without problem except that he stumbled once or twice on the down hill. At the river, Chere and the packhorse crossed first. Then Topy set off like a bullet across the river after them. She had a delightful swim but we did get across. On the uphill, it was much easier for the horse so it took half the time than going down. After 6 hours of riding, we arrived very tired in a little village. We took the horses’ saddles and halters off so they could graze. All the village houses were made out of stone and we soon made friends with the local children. We made a little shelter and a small dam that overflowed. We slept on mattresses in a small stone hut with mud walls and floors. The next morning, we left for Malealea at 7:15 am but this time, we rode past some bushman’s paintings. We walked 15 minutes down to the caves. The pictures were really cool because they were on a real rock and not in a museum. On the way back, the horses were fidgety and trotted when we didn’t want them to. They were so happy to get home and went straight to eat hay. Last night we camped at Malealea in the rain and it is still raining. I hope it doesn’t rain tonight too!


Zara’s Writing (Jan-March 2011):

5 January 2011 We went for a walk at Ithala. We found an enormous spider. It was on it’s nest. It had two spikes on its sides. It was a nice red color. We had to go past it. Howe wold we do that? We went around it! Then we carried on up the hill and back down again. 20 january 1011 Kids Club We went to Sodwana bay loge wiht (with) Kids Club. We were staying there for two nights. The first evening we went in a big army truck. We drove on the beach for owers (hours) on anb (and) on. After, we stoped (stopped) we saw a huge net. Nets are not good for turtles. Turtles eat blue things. We found a blue net. Turtles get cowt (caught) in nets. The next evening we went on the same truck. We saw lots of turtles. But they did not lay eggs.

1st Feb 2011 My visit to the Cape Town Aquarium.

I went to the Cape Town aquarium. It was fantastic. We saw a huge moray eel. She was lying in the rocks. We also saw the biggest frog in Southern Africa. It is called an African Bullfrog. We saw rockhopper penguins and African penguins. I love the aquarium.

8th Feb 2011 I went on a long trip to Namibia. It was funny. We went up steap (steep) and slippery mountains. When we got there, it was the middle of the night. I went to bed. Good night!

11th Feb 2011 Our sand museum.

My sister and I made a sand museum. We made lots of cool things out of sand. The sand was hard. We had a graet (great) time. I love sand. We got a stick and drew the outline. We rubed (rubbed) a stick on the hard sand. Then we pulled the hard sand off the other hard sand. We had lots and lots of fun.

14th Feb 2011 I wrote this story for Zara: Bayete Zulu We went to Bayete Zulu to touch the elephants. It was marvelous. When we came into the gate, we saw a man who opened the gate for us. He was so nice. We saw the three elephants coming. He took my sister and I to feed and touch the elephants. Then Mum and Dad came to join us. We sat down on a chair and the guide told us all about the elephants. Elephant can feel danger in their legs.They can hear the very, very low rumbling voice of other elephants. That’s how they talk. Elephants stand on their tiptoes. After that, we gave horse pellets to the elephants. The Dad was called Rumbo, the Mum was called Rachel and the baby was called Jabulani. Rumbo has a collar so that our guide knows where he is. He is the only one with a collar because the tree elephants always stay together. Our guide sometimes goes down in his bakki, finds the elephants and says “Home Gate”. And the elephants go to the gate by themselves. I love elephants!

24th Feb 2011 The mud bug.

I found a little patch of mud in the middle of my garden. I thought it was a good place to plant something. So I planted something. The next day, they werr (were) not what I expected. I did not see it spouting. Then, I found a bug, a brown bug. It was a mud bug!

8th March 2011 Mary Mac Geyss what?

We went to Mary Mac’s house. We swam for a long, long time. We had lots and lots and lots of fun. We played ships and sumbereens (submarines). Ships and sumbereens is a very very fun game. I love Mary Mac.

17th March 2011 We went for a two day horse ride from Malealea Lodge. We went to a small hut. On the way, we went down a big cliff. It was very rocky and my horse (Supertex) and I were terrified. We slipped and tripped and jumped. After the big downhill, we crossed a big, bad, brown fast flowing river. My horse was so thirsty. When we got to the other side, it was only uphill. Then we got to a small arewa where we had a snack. We jumped onto our horses and we zoomed off. “Feuf, we’re there!” I adore horses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment